07 April 2010

A Quandry

I am pondering something today. When is something someone says a compliment? I have wondered lately.

I will be honest, I was chubbing up pretty good last year. I decided I had had enough and started working out again. I HATE working out. I would rather stick a fork in my eye. I really would. So, I thought I would try some different stuff until I found something I could stand to do on a regular basis.

One of the new things I tried was Zumba. Now, I know most of you will snicker at that, but it really is fun. Not only fun, but it burns a TON of calories. I have now lost over 30 pounds. Awesome, right? Not only that, I've made some really, really sweet friends. We have a little zumba posse. We have a great time.

Ok, so here's where the tricky part kicks in...how to take what some chicks say. A great example is

"Wow, you're starting to look good."

I know that it's great that I'm starting to look good. I know I didn't look that good before. But, really, do you HAVE to say it like that? All surprised? Like it's a shocker that I pulled it off? This is a statement I have heard more than once from chicks who don't normally give me the time of day and are skinny bitches to begin with.

How do I get across, you know, with words and not fists, that, while I appreciate the compliment, you sound to me like a snarky beeotch when you say it like that? And a smack upside that boney little head of yours is the proper response?

Maybe I'm just being sensitive.


aslifefluttersby said...

What's with the ambiguity? Can't someone just say, "you look amazing!" and leave it at that?

It's like the comment, "you look just as I remember you!" - Uh, thanks? Is that good or bad?

I'd say the best response is "Damn straight, skippy!"

gina said...

I *heart* you Eunice!!